In a systematic review 2 RCTs demonstrated an improvement in executive function and reported cognitive function in patients that had received chemotherapy for breast cancer.
Quality of evidence
Grade B – Moderate quality of evidence – two RCTs demonstrating improvement in executive function – however only evidence for patients with breast cancer.
Strength of recommendation
Grade 2 – weak evidence – Further robust RCTs for not only breast cancer, but all other forms of cancer are needed. However it is likely any risks are outweighed by the benefits of exercise.
- Cramp, F. and J. Byron-Daniel, Exercise for the management of cancer-related fatigue in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 2012. 11: p. CD006145.
- Brown, J.C., et al., Efficacy of exercise interventions in modulating cancer-related fatigue among adult cancer survivors: a meta-analysis. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 2011. 20(1): p. 123-33.
- Cramer, H., et al., A systematic review and meta-analysis of exercise interventions for colorectal cancer patients. Eur J Cancer Care (Engl), 2014. 23(1): p. 3-14.
- Fong, D.Y., et al., Physical activity for cancer survivors: meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. BMJ, 2012. 344: p. e70.
- Mishra, S.I., et al., Exercise interventions on health-related quality of life for cancer survivors. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 2012(8): p. CD007566.
- Cavalheri, V., et al., Exercise training undertaken by people within 12 months of lung resection for non-small cell lung cancer. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 2013(7): p. CD009955.
- Craft, L.L., et al., Exercise effects on depressive symptoms in cancer survivors: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 2012. 21(1): p. 3-19.
- Dennett, A.M., et al., Moderate-intensity exercise reduces fatigue and improves mobility in cancer survivors: a systematic review and meta-regression. J Physiother, 2016. 62(2): p. 68-82.
- Chan, R.J., et al., Systematic review of pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic interventions to manage cognitive alterations after chemotherapy for breast cancer. Eur J Cancer, 2015. 51(4): p. 437-50.
- Focht, B.C., et al., Resistance exercise interventions during and following cancer treatment: a systematic review. J Support Oncol, 2013. 11(2): p. 45-60.